Apparently, though unproven, at 17:34 on Tuesday 16 November 2010, Grant
Edwards did opine thusly:

> On 2010-11-16, J. Roeleveld <jo...@antarean.org> wrote:
> >> spinrite claims to make the head do other things than what the drive
> >> firmware makes it do.
>
> I'm afraid I'll have to call bullshit on that.  I don't see how some
> bit of PC software can make a drive head move.  The firmware on the
> drive controller board is the only thing that can make the head move.
> Does spinrite claim they _replace_ the drive firmware with their own
> custom version?

Firmware is nothing more than high-level software that wraps low-level
commands on the drive. High and low are to be taken here within the context of
a drive and it's controls, so don't be thinking it's on the same level as
fopen()

SOMETHING makes the head move. That something is the servos, and they are
under software control (how could it be otherwise?) If the registers and
commands that control that can be exposed, fine control is possible. The
firmware does not itself define the only things the head can do, in the same
way that a file system does nto define the only things that can be written to
a disk

> Where does Spinrite's claim they can do override drive firmware?

I have not read the site in many years - Gibson's prose is simply too much to
bear. What I recall being there may not be there any more.

I never said that spinrite claims to override (or as you mention below
"replace") the firmware. A sensible reading of what I wrote will show I meant
"bypass"

In any event it's all moot. Gibson is rather renowned for vast flowery
language and liked to fly off on tangents. spinrite had a very good reputation
years ago but it's possible that Gibson over-inflated his claims.

Everything I said before is just my understanding of what Gibson claimed his
software could do. It's hard to prove one way or the other for several
reasons, first being that the thing is written in assembler.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com