Apparently, though unproven, at 22:37 on Tuesday 16 November 2010, Jarry did
opine thusly:

> > Failing that, there's "kill -9", this won't break anything but might
> > disconnect a client.
>
> Well, I could kill the process while working in terminal. But when
> I forget to do it and try to shutdown server, it hangs and waits.
> And that is a problem. I have to power it off, and next time when
> I boot up, I have to fsck all partitions...

I've seen the weirdest inexplicable things from bind (and vixie-cron too, now
that I think of it).

When you try stop the init script, and it hangs, what do your various state
tools tell you:

active child processes as per ps axf?
Run state of those processes?
Does top show anything different as it tries to stop?
Did you try an strace on the running daemon to see if it's doing anything?
Any active connections from clients?
Anything in bind's logs?

Honestly, I haven't seen bind do this particular one consistently myself, so I
expect we'll have to dig a little deeper than usual to troubleshoot it.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com