On 2010-11-19, Peter Humphrey <pe...@humphrey.ukfsn.org> wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> Just to expose my ignorance again, would someone lift my blinkers
> please? I'm recovering from an infection and my brain is stuck.
>
> It's time to start pruning old stuff from the website I run, which has
> 2200 files in 200 directories.
>
> I'm trying to find old images like this:
> find . -iname \*.jpg -exec ls '-cdl' {} \; | cut -d \  -f 5-10

It's obvious how that command finds old images.  Can you explain what
it's supposed to do?

> Is there a simple way to do this? Ideally I'd like a chronologically
> ordered list of the files.

Do you want a chronologically ordered list, or do you want to find
files older than a certain age?

If the former, try this:

  find . -iname '*.jpg' | xargs ls -lt

If the latter, read the 'find' man page and look for the -mtime test.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! My nose feels like a
                                  at               bad Ronald Reagan movie ...