On Thu, Nov 25, 2010 at 21:51, Stroller <strol...@stellar.eclipse.co.uk> wrote:

> On 25/11/2010, at 1:24pm, App Deb wrote:
>> On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 7:00 PM,  <meino.cra...@gmx.de> wrote:
>>>
>>>  new features, new problems...
>>>  Recent multi-core CPUs modify the clock freqs of their core
>>>  if only a subset of all cores are used.
>>>
>>>  Are their any CONFIGs need to be set in the linux kernel to
>>>  guarantee a stable system running those kind of CPUs ?
>>>
>>>  Thank you very much in advance for any help!
>>
>> Most Intel CPUs need: CONFIG_X86_ACPI_CPUFREQ
>>
>> All AMD CPUs need: CONFIG_X86_POWERNOW_K8
>>
>> enabled in the kernel.
>>
>> And after that you need to install and enable/run the cpufrequtils daemon.
>
> How does one determine whether one's CPU supports this, please?
>
> Stroller.

Doc for this is located at /usr/src/linux/Documentation/cpu-freq/

Speaking of my case, I first get to know my cpu looking at
/proc/cpuinfo and then grep the doc directory.

# grep Sempron /usr/src/linux/Documentation/cpu-freq/*
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/cpu-freq/amd-powernow.txt:8th Generation:
powernow-k8: Athlon, Athlon 64,

which tells me to select powernow-k8. powetnow-k7, for instance, wont
work. But for Intel I *guess* acpi-intel is the one.
--
   Fatih