Jules Colding wrote:
On Tue, 2005-08-02 at 18:14 +0200, Richard Fish wrote:

Jules Colding wrote:

I tried the aforementioned script just to see if that picked up
anything. Lo and behold... it segfaulted in mkdir. I am beginning to
suspect a subtle reiserfs (mounted with noatime and notail) bug as I am
only seeing segfaults with mkdir and only under high load. There was
something in /var/log/messages as well. Script, output, log and info
below.

Um, what version of reiserfs are we talking about here?

Whatever is in gentoo-sources-2.6.12-r6. dmesg tells me that it is
format "3.6".

I recall reading recently on lkml (or maybe it was somewhere else..) reports that reiser4 has known and serious problems on non-x86 platforms, and maybe that extends to AMD64 as well....

Yes, reiser4 is not quite stable yet.

If you are using the stable reiser3.6 (the only option available in the gentoo-sources or vanilla-sources), well, I would be very surprised if this was a bug there, because noatime and notail are very common options and it is a very popular filesystem. I would put my money on bad ram or memory timings in this case.

I would expect other things to fail too if it was bad RAM or memory
timings, right? The only failure scenario is mkdir under high load which
to me points towards s specific problem area in the code. This is just
an unqualified guess, naturally...

Can you reproduce the problem if you boot from a livecd?  That could help
settle the question of whether your problems are rooted in hardware or software.

Zac