On Mon, 13 Dec 2010 13:34:56 +0000 (UTC), James <wirel...@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
Stroller <stroller <at> stellar.eclipse.co.uk> writes:

if I bridge it with the laptop's internal network card.
However, the 3Com network card doesn't seem to be recognised under my
installation of Gentoo.

OK, shot in the dark:

/usr/sbin/update-pciids         <updates list of pci device numbers>

My experience is sometimes this data base gets updated
and sometimes, it need a manual push. I'm not certain it
affects your hardware, but, it's a good command to try.

others <just for grins>:

update-ca-certificates  update-etc              update-usbids
update-env              update-pciids

Or USE flag +network-cron which installs a CRON task to run thoses utils on a regular basis (once a month or sth).

hth,
James

--
Xavier Parizet