On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 1:08 PM, Kevin O'Gorman <kogor...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Eeek!!
>
> Just fooling around with some software on my laptop, I found that my Gentoo
> desktop has an even dozen open inet ports with something listening to them,
> in addition to the ones I would expect (25, 80 and so on).
> They are all in the range 32768-60000.
>
> Netstat agrees that they're open but does not disclose which process is
> listening.
>
> Does anybody know how to find this out?

I should add that they all disappear when I log off, and are not seen when I
log in as root, nor when I log in remotely.  These could
(I hope so) be things that KDE is starting, but it seems like an awful lot
of listening ports.  I have about 125 processes just for starting KDE, few
of which I understand, so I could use some help narrowing this down.

++ kevin
--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD