Paul Hartman wrote:
On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 9:09 AM, Peter Humphrey
<pe...@humphrey.ukfsn.org>  wrote:
On Wednesday 15 December 2010 13:33:03 J. Roeleveld wrote:

Not sure how much memory you have, but a 6Gig ramdisk mounted at
/var/tmp/portage is sufficient to compile openoffice. That speeds
things up even more ;)
The same size of tmpfs on /tmp also works even if you have only 4GB RAM,
as I have. When it gets too full it just starts swapping.
In my experience if it starts swapping, that is much slower than just
using disk for /tmp in the first place. YMMV :)

My thought was that at least portage wouldn't stop the compile when it ran out of room. I usually put /var on a separate partition and always forget that OOo needs some space. I usually don't give it enough the first time around. Doesn't OOo need about 4 or 5Gbs now?

Dale

:-)  :-)