Apparently, though unproven, at 12:50 on Tuesday 04 January 2011, Peter
Humphrey did opine thusly:

> On Monday 03 January 2011 14:40:41 walt wrote:
> > I'm wondering if you have some mixture of baselayout versions on that
> > machine from previous updates.
>
> Unlikely: this box has been ~amd64 since before it had a complete
> system.
>
> > Could your machine be trying to start something other than kdm by
> > mistake? I.e., maybe you are starting kdm for the first time from
> > the VT instead of re-starting it?
>
> Also unlikely.
>
> I tried taking xdm out of the default run-level and calling both it and
> xdm-setup in /etc/conf.d/local. It started up ok then.

Do you have

rc_parallel="YES"

in /etc/rc.conf?

Try setting it to NO. If stuff then works right, we know your start order is
incorrect and I would be suspecting you declined an update in /etc/init.d/
that you should have accepted.

Dunno how you would fix that easily apart from re-emerging everything related
that creates an init script.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com