Am 05.01.2011 06:00, schrieb Dale:
William Kenworthy wrote:
Is the clock almost in sync? - if its too far out ntp will silently fail
to sync (by design - large scale time steps can be destructive for
heavily active databases for instance)
That's what i meant in my earlier post and  what the extract of your logfile
confirms.

Check out the -g option to ntpd in 'man ntpd'

or 'tinker panic 0' in ntp.conf

Also, has ntp.conf specified a writable frift file in a directory that
exists?

ntp can be VERY complex when it doesnt "just work" :)
+1

It syncs and adjusts the time. It just doesn't do it like my older rig. My old
rig, when I booted it up, ntp would sync and in about a hour or so it would be
accurate enough that it would only sync a few times a day. Since I have long
uptimes, that worked out well. With this new rig, it syncs about every ten to
15 minutes and adjusts and just keeps doing the same thing. It never sets the
drift file to a setting that allows it to go more than ten or fifteen minutes
without resetting the clock. This is what is in messages:

If i remember right your new rig is AMD-Phenom based?! - then just have a look
at  http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Support/KnownOsIssues#Section_9.2.4.2.7.
If your clocksource is the tsc it's possible youre affected by this problem.
At http://www.ep.ph.bham.ac.uk/general/support/adjtimex.html#issues is a "nice"
illustration of the affect.

Steffen