On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 3:50 AM, Alex Schuster <wo...@wonkology.org> wrote:
> Jörg Schaible writes:
>
>> Alex Schuster wrote:
>
>> > I would be surprised if it had this feature. AFAIK grub is already done
>> > at this stage, the kernel has taken over. And I guess it does not know
>> > about the LABEL= syntax, and has no code to scan all devices for file
>> > system labels.
>>
>> I fear so, too. Grub finds the boot device properly, it's the kernel
>> complaining about the value in the root option.
>>
>> > With an initramfs, the kernel runs an init script which can do various
>> > stuff, like probing all devices for file system labels.
>>
>> I never had the need for an initrd.
>
> Now you do :)
>
>        Wonko

Wonko,
   I did my first initramfs build this last week to get RAID6 working
for /. It went well and I was impressed at how much I could debug in a
shell before I got it working correctly. (Big issue for me - make sure
you copy all the /dev/sdX stuff you are going to need into the
initramfs, and make sure mdadm is built static.)

   QUESTION: What's the difference between initrd and initramfs in
practice. As I understand it initramfs is the newer one. I assume that
means it's preferred? Or are there times when someone wants to still
use an initrd?

Thanks,
Mark