Apparently, though unproven, at 22:10 on Thursday 06 January 2011, KIM WHALEN
did opine thusly:

> On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 3:02 PM, walt wrote:
> > On 01/06/2011 10:43 AM, KIM WHALEN wrote:
> >> Sorry, I did
> >> # echo ">=x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-177.0.0" >>
> >> /etc/portage/package.mask
> >> first
> >
> > Good, you're now trying to install the correct version.
> >
> >> then tried it again and got the following error.
> >>
> >> Your kernel was configured to include nvidiafb support!
> >>
> >> The nvidiafb driver conflicts with the NVIDIA driver, please
> >> reconfigure your kernel and *disable* nvidiafb support, then
> >> try installing the NVIDIA kernel module again.
> >
> > Looks like you haven't done that yet, right?
>
> Haven't got it installed yet.  Should I just buy a new nVidia card?  I
> really wouldn't mind, I just don't want to get a new one if I'm going to
> have the same problems.  Thanks.

For completeness, you do not actually need to remove all FB support to use
nVidia proprietary drivers, just the nVidia-specific ones. You can use

CONFIG_FB_VESA=y

just fine like I do. It gives me more than 80x25 on the console which is how I
like it.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com