On Aug 4, 2005, at 1:29 AM, Richard Watson wrote:

Thanks Colin, I've (unfortunately) already compiled my system. Can I
re-compile everything with:

# emerge --update --ask --deep --verbose --newuse --tree world

The reason I'm looking into this is Kino keeps crashing, as do other data
intensive, high CPU applications.

This is definitely a case of flaky hardware or insufficient cooling. Don't bother recompiling your system, work on finding the culprit. I recommend a thorough dusting, inside and out, followed by a couple passes of memtest86.

But if you do want to recompile, re-bootstrap and emerge your system first:
 cd /usr/portage
 scripts/bootstrap.sh
emerge -Davenut system # no offense to any Daves, this is just easy to remember. It's your stuff plus --emptytree.
 emerge -Davenut world
 Rebuild your kernel.
--
Colin