Michael Crute wrote:
Hmm not to be insulting but:

no, it is not insulting at all. One must always make sure that the devices plugged into the wall.

* Is NFS Running

on the server and, yes showmount and mounting devices loopback work

* Is there a firewall on either host (and if so are the ports for NFS opened)

no firewall on either host.

If all is good there then my last think would be why not just put your mount in fstab and skip the automounter jazz?

not a bad idea. I was merely following the instructions in the build host tutorial. I've often thought automounter was a good idea and a decent way to deal with server or client's bouncing up and down. I'd hope in the past few years, folks would have fixed its unreliability.

thank you for your suggestions.
---eric