On 13 January 2011 13:12, Neil Bothwick <n...@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Jan 2011 14:00:45 +0100, pk wrote:
>
>> If I remember correctly, grub (legacy) is not compatible with EFI or
>> GPT...
>
> That's right, so GRUB's current lifespan will end when we use those
> methods exclusively. This won't happen soon.
>
> I'd be more than happy for GRUB1 to become obsolete if it means we get
> away from the current booting methods, but I'm not holding my breath.

Coming in a bit late into this ...

The dictionary is trying to use synonyms, which may only partially
overlap in meaning.  This is to be expected in a same-language
dictionary, if tautologies are to be avoided (i.e. rain = when it
rains, ha!)

Finished is a term and would most likely refer to the duration of an
activity, or a temporal attribute of it; e.g. "this thang is
finished!" (meaning end-of-life, life-expired).  Complete on the other
hand does not necessarily refer to a time related attribute, but more
likely to a qualitative attribute, i.e. complete relevant to
specification, requirements, expectations, shape, etc.

There is some interchangeability in the two (e.g. "I have completed
this task",  or the "finishing of the whiskey") but if you lift the
bonnet (aheam! hood) to look at the engine then the time/quality
differentiator is there.

PS.  Sorry, no citations ...  :-p
--
Regards,