On 01/13/11 20:48, J. Roeleveld wrote:
> On Thursday 13 January 2011 11:33:09 Jake Moe wrote:
>>> 500, that's a bit more then I have :)
>> Heh, yeah, well I've been collecting them for around 20 years now.
>> Since shortly after they were introduced.  I stopped counting at 500.

>>> Yes, I noticed similar behaviour last time I used MS Windows to play
>>> audio- CDs. I believe MS Windows 98 (yes, that long ago) used to present
>>> them as *.WAV-files,
>> Don't know if you've ever used Konqueror, but if you go to the address
>> "audiocd:/", it gives you a load of folders like MP3 and OGG and FLAC,
>> along with a wav file for each track.  So you can either copy the files
>> as WAV, or go into one of the folders and copy out MP3, OGG, etc.  It's
>> just that Konqueror does the extraction/conversion for you.
> As far as I know, that requires the multimedia kioslaves to work. I wonder if
> it's possible to have that use a different CDDA-tool?
>
>> Which, from memory, is different that Win98.  IIRC, Win98 used to
>> present CDs as 1KB cda files.  I could be wrong, though...
> Last time I used MS Windows at home for anything other then games was around
> 1998 and that's quite a while ago...

>>> Ok, it was the first thing that came to mind.
>>>
>>> How far does "cdparanoia" get? That's the tool I generally use and it has
>>> always worked for me. Even with DRM'd CDs.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Joost
>> How very odd.  As soon as I put the CD into the drive, I get the same
>> raft of error messages in /var/log/messages.  But when I run 'cdparanoia
>> "1"', it starts outputting to cdda.wav as normal.  Now why would
>> cdparanoia work, even though the kernel doesn't seem to like the CD?
>> Does this tell us anything that might help me play the CDs?
>>
>> Jake Moe
> Can you actually play that wav-file? Or is it just a collection of garbage?
>
> As far as I know, CD-Paranoia access the cd-drive a bit more directly then
> other tools. Eg. it approaches it like a CD-ROM, rather then CD-Audio.
>
> The error messages appear as soon as you put the CD into the drive?
> Am wondering if some auto-mounting tool is trying to access it and is causing
> problems here.
> Do you also get those messages when you disable all KDE/Gnome/X/... and
> related stuff?
>
> Personally, I tend to use cdparanoia and other tools to generate OGG or MP3
> files and store them on a fileserver and play them from there.
>
> --
> Joost

Yeah, the wav file played fine.  At least, it started out fine; I only
listened to the first 15 - 30 seconds to make sure it sounded ok, and
then assumed the rest was fine, since nothing else had even gotten that far.

And yeah, the errors start as soon as I put the CD in the drive.  What
automounting tool might I have in FVWM?  I use a pretty basic config
(which is why I like FVWM, not many frills to muck things up :-P).

What KDE/Gnome/X stuff are you talking about?  Unless they're
auto-started by a service, I don't know of anything that'd be running
like that, especially from a console.

Jake Moe