On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 1:59 PM, Kaddeh <kad...@gmail.com> wrote:

> So, I have run into an interesting problem while building out a web server
> for a client which I haven't come across before and I was hoping that the
> list would be a good way for me to find the answer.
>
> A little beckground on the systems:
> P4 @ 3.0Ghz
> 2GB PC2 4200
> 2x 250GB drives in RAID1
>
> The system configurations are default for the most part with the server
> running MySQL and Apache.
>
> The problem that I am running into at this point, however is that the
> machine seems to run out of memory and will segfault either apache or mysql
> when does so, when apache segfaults, it is a recoverable error, when mysql
> does it, mysql can't recover short of restarting it.
>
> At this point, I have found a soft fix by running a cron job every 6 hours
> or so to clear the cached memory, which seems to be the problem, however, I
> would like to find a more permanent fix to this issue.
>
> Anything that would help at this point would be much appreciated.
>
> Cheers
>
> Kad

I've seen a similar problem before:  a chrooted webhost running Apache,
MySQL, and a very old version of phpnuke.  MySQL ran a muck using 50%+ of
CPU time, eventually.  I had a cron job set to restart it once an hour, but
even that became too much.  We eventually moved the site to another server
on a temporary basis, then migrated to vBulletin.