On 2011-01-05 7:21 PM, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
> A ton of crap broke with the PHP 5.2 -> 5.3 upgrade. In theory, this
> will help with future upgrades; but I'm not sure how, since I can't
> *run* both versions at the same time. Does anyone know how having 5.3
> installed will help me when I'm stuck running 5.2 for some of my sites?

I don't think this is correct... from the PHP upgrade guide:

http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/php/php-guide.xml

"2.  Slotting

Minor version slotting

The php team decided to ease the transition between PHP-5.2 and PHP-5.3
by allowing users to install both versions concurrently. Using the cgi
or FPM SAPI, you can even serve web pages utilizing PHP-5.2 and PHP-5.3
(or PHP-5.4 once it's released) at the same time.

For implementing minor version slotting, we chose an approach similar to
that of the ruby team --- you can set a global variable PHP_TARGETS to
control which slots you want and manage the active version via an
eselect module (see chapter 3)"