Does that mean that it is unadvised to use a PCMCIA card for AP functions?
I won't need a good range... something that works fine up to 8 meters (between 2 rooms) is enough.
I have to check if the driver I use allows Master mode.

# ndiswrapper -l
Installed ndis drivers:
lsbcmnds        driver present, hardware present

Any idea?

Fernando.

On 8/4/05, Craig Zeigler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hans-Werner Hilse wrote:

>Hi,
>
>On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 07:21:25 -0400
>Craig Zeigler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

>>This is a pretty cool idea, but I wonder what the range on something
>>like this is. Considering that the transmitting capability of a PCMCIA
>>card isn't very high. Do you risk burning out the card or the slot by
>>forcing more power to it? will the PCMCIA bus permit diverting more
>>power to a card?
>>

>Huh? "Forcing more power to the card"?!? You mean, increase the
>current? Or how else do you want to archieve that? Nah, this wouldn't
>work. You'd have to set up power level by means of the pcmcia card,
>that is by using "iwconfig ... power ...", in most cases.
>
>Well, and I know a few PCMCIA cards that do 100mWatts output. In fact,
>a whole bunch of APs internally use standard WLAN cards that are just
>flashed with a different Firmware.
>
>-hwh

thats pretty cool to know. When I take a PCMCIA card out of my laptop
its quite hot. I was just wondering if asking it to draw more power (in
oncrease transmit power) would pose a cooling problem. The APs have the
benefit of at least convection cooling. not to mention better antennas.