On 01/16/2011 08:25 PM, Grant wrote:
> I've been running without swap for quite a while, but my system goes
> into a near freeze whenever I undertake a large emerge such as
> chromium or openoffice.  Is there anything I can do to prevent this
> besides turning swap back on?  I have 3GB RAM and MAKEOPTS="-j1".
>
> - Grant

The "near freeze" is probably the result from Linux' bad IO-scheduling.
I know the phenomena :(
I'm very much looking forward to some future changes in the kernel :)

For now it'll help to use "ionice -c 3". This is the IO-equivalent to
"nice -n 19".

$ ionice -c 3 emerge something

Bye,
Daniel

--
PGP key @ http://pgpkeys.pca.dfn.de/pks/lookup?search=0xBB9D4887&op=get
# gpg --recv-keys --keyserver hkp://subkeys.pgp.net 0xBB9D4887