Chris Cox wrote:

On Thursday 04 August 2005 08:50 am, Ryan Viljoen wrote:
Yeah so you just skipped n00b status?
You never asked a stupid question?
No I thought not.
Thats the spirit lets keep Gentoo to ourselves so it can grow...

*sigh*

I was of course just kidding. I do like Gentoo but hey, it isn't the right choice for everyone. Some people I'm sure would prefer hand holding and fancy GUI installers that other Distros have a seem to cator to the masses.

DO you really think Gentoo should be the first Distro people new to Linux should turn to?
In one word... YES!. If you're going to learn your way around Linux well, why not start with something that doesn't teach you rely on GUIs and crap like that. When it all goes south, you're left iwth a command line. I guess I'm from the school that started wtih computer back where there was no GUI. The closest thing I had to a GUI was an ncurses like system, that really didn't work all that well.