On 01/27/2011 09:41 PM, Dale wrote:
YoYo Siska wrote:
Yes.
It might not be perfect, but mostly it works pretty well.
Once make started 10 or so process, which ate all my ram, because I
forgot to reenable swap, when I was playing with something before that
:)

yoyo

I noticed the same thing with mine. It used a LOT of ram. I have 4Gbs
and it was up to about 3Gbs at one point and using some swap as well.
I'm hoping to max out to 16Gbs as soon as I can. May upgrade to a 6 core
CPU too.

I wonder how much faster it would be if the work directory is put on
tmpfs? With 16Gbs, that should work even for OOo.

Btw, if you're using more instances than the amount of CPUs, the result will be slow-down.

With the default kernel scheduler, best if amount of CPUs + 1. (On a 4-core, that's -j5).