Apparently, though unproven, at 21:25 on Tuesday 01 February 2011, Dale did
opine thusly:

> Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > Of course it can be done :-)
> > Output trimmed for brevity.
> >
> > $ eix kdebase-meta
> > [I] kde-base/kdebase-meta
> >
> >       Available versions:
> >          (4.4)   4.4.5
> >          (4.5)   (~)4.5.5
> >          (4.6)   {M}(~)4.6.0
> >          {aqua kdeprefix}
> >
> >       Installed versions:  4.6.0(4.6)(04:58:02 28/01/11)(-aqua
> >       -kdeprefix) Homepage:            http://www.kde.org/
> >       packages
> >
> > $ eix k3b
> > [I] app-cdr/k3b
> >
> >       Available versions:  (4) 2.0.1-r1 (~)2.0.2-r1
> >       Installed versions:  2.0.2-r1(4)(18:11:41 27/01/11)(dvd encode
> >       ffmpeg
> >
> > flac lame mad musepack musicbrainz vcd vorbis wav -aqua -debug -emovix
> > -hal -kdeenablefinal -sndfile -sox -taglib)
> >
> >       Homepage:            http://www.k3b.org/
> >
> > "qt" doesn't show up in the k3b ebuild anywhere so your blocker is
> > probably from one of the deps. It inherits the same eclass as KDE so
> > it's not that. I remeber having to unmerge k3b and merge it later, but
> > that seemed to be a hal thing.
> >
> > What does emerge -t show?
>
> This may be caused by a USE flag that I am missing somewhere.  Here is
> the output in its entirety:

It's not k3b.

The blocker output at the end basically says "qt-4.7.1 is being pulled in to
satisfy a depends on >=qt-4.6.3 pulled in by k3b"

It's not only k3b pulling in qt *greater than or equal to" 4.6.3, many
packages will do that. k3b just happened to be the first one portage found.

> root@fireball / # emerge -tv k3b
>
> These are the packages that would be merged, in reverse order:

[snip]

> Conflict: 12 blocks (10 unsatisfied)
>
>   * Error: The above package list contains packages which cannot be
>   * installed at the same time on the same system.

[snip]

>    (x11-libs/qt-multimedia-4.6.3, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
>
>  >=x11-libs/qt-multimedia-4.6.0:4 required by (app-cdr/k3b-2.0.2-r1,
>
> ebuild scheduled for merge)

There you go. That's the one.

Everything else in the conflicts list is in the format of "qt-4.7.1 pulled by
>=qt-4.6.3 pulled in by..."

That one starts with 4.6.3, it's different. The pulled in by simply says that
it's the version chosen by portage because k3b (and lots of other stuff,
remember) needs it. Which doesn't explain why it's *that* version.

Till you look at eix qt-multimedia and see that 4.6.3 is keyword arch.

I bet you forgot to keyword it unstable.

> I get the same when I disable hal.  I need to see if anything else uses
> hal and if not, get rid of it.  By the way, I unmerged the qt stuff last
> night and KDE wouldn't come up.  So that won't work.
>
> Your thoughts?  What am I missing?

Your brain? You tried to start KDE without qt! That's like wondering why the
box won't boot without a kernel :-)

You *sure* the gubment isn't putting something in the drinking water down
South where you are?

well, at least you relieved the evening tedium of watching config updates from
a server in Nigeria scroll on down the window :-)

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com