Dan Johansson schreef:
> Hi,
>
> At the moment I'm trying to upgrade one of my old computers from SuSE to
> Gentoo. I have install a second SCSI-disk and installed Gentoo on this second
> disk using a stage-1 install. But when I try to boot my new install GRUB
> hangs (kernel does not uncompress) after I have selected the kernel.
>
> This is the output from grub after selecting my gentoo setup.
>
> root (hd1,2)
>       Filesystem type is ext2fs partition type 0x83
> kernel /kernel-2.6.12-r6 root=/dev/sdb2 acpi=off
>       [Linux-bzImage, setup=0x1200, size=0x165a46]
> (and here it hangs....)
>
> I have installed grub to MBR of the first SCSI-disk (sda) and I'm having my
> grub files on sdb3.
>
> Here's my grub.conf file:
>
> # By default, boot the first entry.
> default 0
>
> # By default boot the old SuSE (until Gentoo boots OK)
> title SuSE
>     kernel (hd0,1)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda2   acpi=off splash=silent
> showopts
>     initrd (hd0,1)/boot/initrd
>
> # For booting Gentoo 2.6.12-r6
> title  Gentoo 2.6.12-r6
> root (hd1,2)
> kernel /kernel-2.6.12-r6 root=/dev/sdb2 acpi=off
>
> The second SCSI-disk (Gentoo) has the following partitions:
> /dev/sdb1     swap
> /dev/sdb2     /
> /dev/sdb3     /boot
> /dev/sdb4     LVM
>
> The Kernel is compiled without Module support and all necessary drivers are
> compiled into the kernel.
>
> Booting the old SuSE installation works without problems but Gentoo does not.
> Any suggestions on what could be wrong?
>
> Regards,

Not without knowing at what point the boot fails.

What is the error you're getting, and at what point after selecting the
Gentoo entry?

Secondly, you have only one separate boot partition? Meaning that the
SuSE /boot folder is on the SuSE partition?

That might be your problem-- since that would mean that you've got
possibly two installs of GRUB (one in the SuSE /boot folder and one in
the Gentoo /boot partition).

So you've got to wonder which one is running. At least I did.

I also dual-boot SuSE and Gentoo (SuSE is my fallback in case I break
Gentoo so badly that I need to use something else to fix it), and what I
did (since I 'really' use the Gentoo GRUB, and the Gentoo /boot
partition) was to copy the SuSE kernel (and System Map, and config) to
my Gentoo /boot folder.

Perhaps you need to do that in reverse (copy the compiled kernel and
related files to your SuSE /boot folder).

HTH,
Holly