On 02/04/2011 04:54 PM, Grant wrote:
Yesterday I caught up with portage and updated quite a few packages on
a remote workstation.  The system hadn't been updated for about a
month.  The updates included some xorg stuff and some xfce4 stuff.
Today when the workstation's user logged in via gdm, she clicked the
xfce4 "Migrate Config" option, something weird happened, and she ended
up back on the gdm welcome screen.  Now whenever she logs is via gdm,
the screen immediately goes black and she is routed back to the gdm
welcome screen again.  When I have grsecurity enabled I get this in
dmesg:

Segmentation fault occurred at 000068e453633fdc in
/usr/bin/Xorg[X:4777] uid/euid:0/0 gid/egid:0/0, parent
/usr/sbin/gdm-binary[gdm:4775] uid/euid:0/0 gid/egid:1010/1002

When you upgraded x.org, did you also rebuild it's drivers?

I rebuilt nv but not evdev.  Could that be responsible for this?

I can't answer that specifically, but you should definitely re-emerge
it anyway.

What happens when you run /usr/bin/Xorg directly instead of with startx?
If Xorg still segfaults it may give you better error messages.