walt <w41ter <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Correct, they are two different (but equivalent) ways of naming
> a filesystem (partition) for use in fstab.

> mkfs generates a UUID automatically when the fs is created, but
> it does *not* generate a "label" unless you give it one using the
> -L flag, or create one later using e2fslabel or some other utility.

> The syntax in fstab is either UUID=<foo> or LABEL=<bar>, but the
> idea is exactly the same.  The whole point is to divorce the fs
> from the /dev/xxxx it happens to reside on at boot time.

Like I just posted in the previous thread, I think
the subject of disk labels and file system labels
*are related* and therefore a simple scheme should
be developed and explained in the handbook. All
sorts of advanced discussions, setup options and
other related topics, like grub2 for now, should
be located in linked documents.

It's a simple subject that can easily become complicated
depending on what one intends to achieved with disks
and subsequent file systems located therein.

We have BTFRS and a host of new file systems,
not to mention CEPH and such coming down the pipe.
Those topic will need to be documented elsewhere, but,
imho, the mount point and currents explanations used
in the handbook to set up disks, partitions and file
systems, are very out-dated, again imho.

Hence this discussion, from a wide base of opinion
and experience will hopefully lead to a well written
bug report, complete with examples, so all the DOC
TEAM has to do is include it in the handbook.

All input is welcome!

James