On Thursday 17 February 2011 01:35:19 Dale wrote:
> Joost Roeleveld wrote:
> > I had similar problems with the "stable" kde 4.4.5 where I was unable to
> > logout/shutdown.
> > A rebuild of KDE resolved that, not sure which part was malfunctioning.
> >
> > Please try rebuilding those and see if it works. I had the issue as well
> > when all programs were already closed. So it might not be those two
> > causing the problems.
> >
> > I will test logging out with konqueror and kpatience running on 4.6.0
> > (testing) when I get back home tonight.
> > I didn't see this problem with this version yet.
> >
> > FWIW, I have not seen any issues with 4.6.0 (including the 4.6 version
> > of
> > kdepim) that weren't solved by fixing other packages and I have been
> > running it for a couple of weeks now.
> >
> > --
> > Joost
> >
> > PS. I did wipe my ~/.kde folders as I had some issues caused by settings
> > that were already present since 3.3.x...
>
> There is another post I sent about the time you were typing yours.  So,
> we have a little crossing in the mail here.  I re-emerged Konqueor and
> kpatience and they seem to close fine, at least the once I did test
> anyway.  I'm in the process of rebuilding the rest of KDE now.

Yes, I saw your email :)

> I have not noticed any other issues with KDE 4.6 either.  It seems to
> work fine to me.  No clue if something under the hood is broken tho.

Same here, but as I do use it a lot, I think I would notice it.
And any issues I find, I do report :)

> When I upgraded to KDE4, I started with a fresh .kde folder.  I just
> copied over stuff for Kopete and a couple other things.  KDE seemed to
> work better.  I don't use Kmail or anything so there isn't much to copy
> over.

I haven't am going to "copy"/merge the history-date from Kopete when I get
round to it.
I do use Kmail (embedded into kontact) and it works quite well.
Akonadi takes a little bit to synchronize at first, but I do have 2 IMAP-
accounts and a groupdav account configured. I believe that is causing it to
take a little bit longer.

> Also, Konqueror runs as root here.  I use it to edit config files and
> such.

I tend to use the commandline for editing stuff for root, maybe I'm old-school
in that, but I prefer not to use graphical software as root

> Dolphin wasn't working for me to well so I went back to
> Konqueror.  I did test Dolphin the other day tho, it seems to be much
> better.  I just don't like the way the box on the left is set up.  Sort
> of working on changing that around a bit.

In View->Panels, you can specify what to show on the "left"

I have the "places" and "folders" shown on mine and am happy with those 2.

> I suspect that when this recompile gets done, things will work better

I hope so for you, I did do a full "emerge -e" on mine to fix some weird
behaviours :)

--
Joost