In linux.gentoo.user, you wrote:
> <meino.cramer <at> gmx.de> writes:
>

>> got some problems here with the Flash Player Plugin and Firefox and
>> may other parts.
>
> Well, I was "noodling" around the net about video (VP8) and there
> seems to be a war brewing. As you know, Google is has open sourced
> VP8 as a replacement for H.264. It seems that the web browser
> groups each pay millions of dollars per year to be able to give
> away a browser that supports h.264 streaming video.
>
> h.264 is everywhere, cell phone apps, HDTV, utube, just to
> name a few. Now Theora was based on an old codec (vp3) I believe.
> Google purchased the company that developed VP8 and purports
> it to replace h.264.
>

> Naturally MPLA (the stinking lawyers behind h.246) is upset
> because the financial rewards of the the patents behind h.264
> are worth an enormous sum of money, over the next few decades.
> VP8 is not threating that. If you saw my post on Nokia and Microsoft
> going down the darkside together (very strange), what I did not
> say is that Balmer is pushing the bussword "EcoSystem" composed
> of Xbox-live, Office and Bing.
>
> Google has that and more.   Apple has their own "EcoSystem".
>
> Many Browsers will be dropping support for h.264 in the near
> future, and streaming video, at least in the short run,
> is now fair game and going to be not interoperable.
>
> Is this your problem? Maybe, maybe not. Drop back a version
> and see if it fixes your problem.
>
> Better still, one of the young (smart) kids on this list
> prolly (guesses?) knows all about this. If it is not your
> problem now, it surely will be *REAL SOON*; as it will
> become everybody's problem as the Economic Giants scratch
> out and protect their "video EcoSystems". Stock prices
> are more of a concern to these titans, than piss_ants
> consumuers (that's what they ALL really see in us). So
> do not be fool, Google is as big a whore as the rest, imho.
> Google has well intentioned folks, but to quote an old addage
> "Money talks and Bullshit walks".......
>

> hth,
> James

IME most video on the web can be viewed with mplayer, if you
can get a link to the actual file. I often download flv files
and use ffmpeg to reencode them as mp4. Works even for videos
that the linux flashplayer can't handle.

I do wish netflix would go with something other than silverlight
though, running win7 in vbox works but I shouldn't have to do all
that...

--
caveat utilitor