On Saturday 19 February 2011 22:40:25 Walter Dnes wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 09:49:46AM +0000, Mick wrote
>
> > Perhaps because there is no analogue audio capture on my machine ... ?
> >
> > $ cat /proc/asound/devices
> >
> >   2:        : timer
> >   3: [ 0- 0]: digital audio playback
> >   4: [ 0- 0]: digital audio capture
> >   5: [ 0- 0]: hardware dependent
> >   6: [ 0]   : control
> >   7: [ 1- 3]: digital audio playback
> >   8: [ 1- 0]: hardware dependent
> >   9: [ 1]   : control
> >
> >  10:        : sequencer
>
>   My system is very similar...
>
> [aa1][root][~] cat /proc/asound/devices
>   2:        : timer
>   3:        : sequencer
>   4: [ 0- 0]: digital audio playback
>   5: [ 0- 0]: digital audio capture
>   6: [ 0- 0]: hardware dependent
>   7: [ 0]   : control
>   8: [ 1- 3]: digital audio playback
>   9: [ 1- 0]: hardware dependent
>  10: [ 1]   : control
>
> > I do not have your hardware, but on my laptop I could not get the
> > microphone to work until I switched on the digital capture and
> > selected "Digital" under Input Source in alsamixer.  For some reason
> > it would not work with any other setting.
>
>   What exactly do you mean by "switched on the digital capture"?  In
> alsamixer I have all sound capture settings on...
>
> Front Mic Boost 67
> Mic Boost 67
> Capture 81
> Capture 1 81
> Digital 83

Ah ... mine have more.  <F4> in alsamixer brings up all these Capture devices:

Front Mic  67<>67
Mic        67<>67
Capture    80<>80
Capture    80<>80
Digital    61<>61
Digital    33<>33
Input So   Digital Mic  (other options are: Front Mic, Mic)
Input So   Digital Mic  (other options are: Front Mic, Mic)

There's a microphone on the top of the screen and a jack on the front left of
the keyboard.
--
Regards,
Mick