On Wednesday 23 February 2011 05:47:59 Dale wrote:

<snipped>

> The total packages it wants to build for system is 401.  Is this
> normal?  I only have about 900 in all.  Not to long ago, system was only
> about 200 or so.
>
> Dale
>
> :-)  :-)

No, that is not (necessarily) normal.

On my system here, when I do a " emerge -pve system" it comes with 128
packages....

But, it could be related to some use-flags in your "system" packages, as when I
do "USE="X" emerge -pve system" it already goes up to 151 packages.

The USE-flags defined in my /etc/make.conf is limited to:
USE="mmx sse sse2 opengl xinerama threads"

I stick the rest in /etc/portage/package.use on a per-package basis.

--
Joost