On 02/25/2011 04:33:20 PM, Dale wrote:
> Well, I think my machine is possessed or something.  I'm getting
> random
> reboots here.  When it does this, it is like hitting the reset
> button.
>
> It is sitting on the grub screen when it does this.  I noticed the
> first
> time the other day and this was before adding the extra memory.  I
> seemed to be stable at 4Gbs but I seem to be rebooting at random.  I
> ran
> memtest yesterday, it checked fine.  It didn't find a error but it
> looked like it was only testing part of it.  Memtest recognizes all
> 16Gbs on the last run but it didn't seem to be testing it all.  Is
> there
> a trick to getting it to test the whole thing?

Dale, I have better experience with sys-apps/memtester for catching
memory errors - though running it over night. You can tell it what to
test.

Furthermore I had one machine (an AMD Phenom II) where I got random
errors though all memory tests went through without a problem.
I suspected a cache coherence bug since this was quad core processor.

Once, I have replaced this CPU only, i.e. with the same memory, the
spook was over.

Therefore, if you have a multi-core CPU, run memtester simultaneously
(on different parts of the memory) as many times as you have cores.

I hope, this helps,
Helmut.