Raymond Lillard wrote:
My first thought is that your first line of defense should be
a bank of smtp servers that know nothing of your internal users.
The first line of defense should be focused on virus detection,
adherence to SMTP protocols and RFCs, greet-pause, listing
(black, white and grey) and my personal favorite, the tar-pit.

The problem is that some of the mail you pass to the internal server will bounce. The majority of the bounces are spam or other nonsense that has managed to make it past your filters somehow. These bounces tend to sit on the smtp servers taking up space in the queue till they expire. I find it more efficient to bounce the emails up front rather than have them travel through the system twice. YMMV.

I'd recommend against any sort of blacklisting. This hits it spot on.
http://www.acme.com/mail_filtering/shame_frameset.html

kashani