On 02/28/2011 03:48 PM, Nils Holland wrote:
> On 15:24 Sat 26 Feb     , Valmor de Almeida wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Is anyone using the uml290 modem? I've never used one and recently
>> acquired this model. What other kernel support is needed in addition
>> to usb modem? and what package is needed to connect the modem
>> (currently I use wicd for wired and wireless connection on a laptop
>> where I intend to use the usb modem)? I've been checking info on the
>> web and ubuntu seems to work with the modem but I have not found
>> specific information on how to configure the kernel.
>
> Well, not that I have any specific information or experience with this
> modem, but you might want to have a look at
>
> /usr/src/linux/Documentation/usb/acm.txt
>
> on your local machine (assuming you have the kernel sources
> installed). If your USB modem happens to support the CDC ACM standard,
> then the information in that file should get you started.
>
> Greetings,
> Nils

Thanks for the info. So far I have connected the modem and it is
recognized by the kernel; so I think I have what is needed as far as
kernel configuration goes. Support for usb modems is still not in wicd
therefore I am replacing wicd by networkmanager which apparently works
with this modem under ubuntu. Will post more as I troubleshoot this. One
thing is the authentication type. The modem works with 3G and 4G
networks; apparently only 3G is supported by CDC ACM??? I've got the
modem activated and its firmware upgraded using a Windows Vista laptop;
so I know the modem works. Also most places I've been to only have 3G
network; don't know what is going to happen in a 4G area.

Later,

--
Valmor