Hello,

Before I file a bug report, maybe somebody
on this list has some additional info on PG9?

Well a routine compilation of snort, croaked
based on removal of pg8 and only pg9 being
on the system. Note: I have little interest
in going back to PG8; I'll leave snort broken
until I figure out PG9.....

Here's were I have looked for PG9 information:
/usr/share/doc/postgresql-9.0

/usr/portage/dev-db/postgresql-base/
postgresql-base-9.0.3.ebuild
Here I find this:
elog "If you need a global psqlrc-file, you can place it in:"
        elog "    '${ROOT}/etc/postgresql-${SLOT}/'"

/var/log/elog
<was not set up, but is now, on the
sytem in question. From another system
where elog and pg9 both exist I found:

dev-db:postgresql-base-9.0.3:20110219-195957.log

* If you need a global psqlrc-file, you can place it in:
*     '//etc/postgresql-9.0/'

<snip>
checking for mysql setting of reconnect option
before connect bug... no
checking for postgresql...

  ERROR: unable to find postgresql header file (libpq-fe.h)
  checked in the following places
        /usr/include
        /usr/include/pgsql
        /usr/local/include
        /usr/local/include/pgsql
        /usr/local/pgsql/include
        /usr/local/pgsql/include/pgsql
        /usr/pgsql/include
        /usr/pgsql/include/pgsql
        /usr/local/include
        /usr/local/include/pgsql
/var/tmp/portage/net-analyzer/snort-2.9.0.3/
work/snort-2.9.0.3/config.log
ERROR: net-analyzer/snort-2.9.0.3 failed (configure phase)

BUG 356001
>From my reading on another pgsql bug, make sure you use eselect to set your
postgres version. After you do that, you should be able to merge pgadmin.

# eselect postgresql show
(none)

It seems the eselect mechanism fixed the problem for one user,
but mine broken, so I'll "-1" eselect-postgresql and see what
happens...

same result.

guidance?

james