On 03/15/2011 04:28 PM, Grant wrote:

>>> I originally had my laptop on a hardened profile (I think it was a
>>> couple laptops back) but there were so many problems I eventually gave
>>> up.  I remember doing a lot of system reinstalling as I switched
>>> profiles around.  I don't have time to reinstall my system right now
>>> so I'm trying to be sure I can switch to hardened (and from hardened
>>> if necessary) without reinstalling.
>>
>> If you don't run a hardened kernel, "sudo gcc-config 5" (assuming 5 is
>> the vanilla gcc on your machine...) will switch you back to the vanilla
>> gcc. No need to switch profiles or recompile anything.
>
> I do run a hardened kernel, but you're saying if I switch to gcc-5 I
> should be able to test for a crash that was previously exhibited under
> a hardened profile?

I think (completely unscientifically) that most of the day-to-day
problems are caused by the hardening features in the kernel rather than
by GCC's hardening features.

When you compile a hardened GCC, you also get the vanilla, unhardened
GCC installed. So if you see e.g. a compile failure using hardened GCC,
you can just switch to the vanilla GCC to see if that fixes it. On my
machine,

  $ sudo gcc-config -l
   [1] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-4.4.5 *
   [2] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-4.4.5-hardenednopie
   [3] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-4.4.5-hardenednopiessp
   [4] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-4.4.5-hardenednossp
   [5] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-4.4.5-vanilla

it's the fifth option.

vanilla GCC and reboot to a non-hardened kernel. You don't have to
recompile anything or switch profiles again.