On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 21:41:15 -0400
"C.Beamer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Now for the question.  I need confirmation of my understanding.  In
> the make.conf file when setting up the USE flags, I include anything
> that I want to have compiled into the programs that I install,
> correct?  If I don't want an option to be compiled in all programs, I
> prefix that with a - sign.  If I want an option for a specific
> package, I use the package.use file.

As Willie and Mark stated, I'll add a - sort of.

> So, if I don't want to compile gnome, then I use -gnome as one of the
> keywords.  I don't use gnome, never have, never will, but there are
> gnome applications that I like - gnumeric to name one, plus there are
> a few gnome games.  So, is it my best bet to include -gnome as a
> keyword in my make.conf USE statement and the add it in the
> package.use file for those applications that need it?

I'm pretty much with you on using gnumeric and not gnome.  Same with
kworldclock but not kde.  And I started out using - -gnome and -kde.  But
have just stopped the practice.  I just use -* at the beginning of my USE
flags and select all the things I do want.

The problem with -* is it makes everything minimal so you have to spend a
lot of time adding in the things you want.  To me that's preferable to getting
a lot of what I don't want tagging along.  Also, it insure that PAM stays off
my system.

Bob
-