On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 4:09 PM, walt <w41...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I just got an email from cron on my ~amd64 machine, containing these lines:
>
> Checking 'find'... INFECTED
> Checking 'netstat'... INFECTED
>
> Took me a few minutes to deduce that sys-forensics/chkrootkit was the source
> of those messages.  I ran chkrootkit manually and found the same messages in
> the output.
>
> I then nervously re-emerged findutils and net-tools, but chkrootkit again
> found
> the same binaries to be "INFECTED".
>
> Running chkrootkit on my ~x86 machine turns up no such infections even
> though
> the same packages are installed on both machines.
>
> Anyone have any insight into how chkrootkit works, or why the different
> results?
>
> Or, can anyone reproduce my problem?

chkrootkit is old, has not been updated in years+, and those are false
alarms. I got the exact same ones. Basically, chkrootkit is just
grepping for a string inside those files:

/usr/bin/find: sharefile.h
/bin/netstat: sockaddr.h

You may find that if you strip those 2 binaries of debug data, the
false positives go away.