Apparently, though unproven, at 23:11 on Sunday 10 April 2011, Alan Mackenzie
did opine thusly:

> Hi, Gentoo.
>
> My new(ish) amd64 system has two 1TB HDDs in a (software) RAID1, and
> practically the entire system is under an LVM2.
>
> I rather unwisely made this addition to the startup stuff:
>
>     ls -s /usr/bin/svscanboot /etc/init.d/
>     rc-update add svscanboot default
>
> , and now the box hangs during boot up.
>
> On the same box, I also have a "trial" installation which boots and I
> still have the installation CD from about a year ago.
>
> Would somebody please help me get into my system sufficiently to correct
> my mistake on the boot scripts.  Pointing me in the direction of a fine
> manual section would be regarded as help.

Boot the trial installation which does boot.
vgchange -ay
find and mount your lvm volumes somewhere
now you can access that dodgy symlink to delete it

Maybe there's other steps (like loading kernel modules), but I'm assuming you
know your way around to find and detect those.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com