On Fri, 22 Apr 2011 00:57:13 +0100, Matt Harrison wrote:

> I've just tried setting up a new development machine and I'm stuck
> installing the ffi gem for ruby.
>
> According to a bug I found (can't find it now I'm afraid) the gentoo
> devs do not support installing gems via the gem command and directed the
> user to use the dev-ruby/ffi package. Unfortnately, that package is
> absolutely ancient and unusable.

That is correct, we recommend to use our native Gentoo packages when
present.

If you have a problem with a package, then please file a bug report at
https://bugs.gentoo.org/  ffi-0.6.3-r1 should be usable.

> Anyway, I've got the ffi library install from portage, but when I try to
> `gem install ffi`, I get the output seen in the attachement.

Yes, you are trying to install a version of the ffi gem that is not
compatible with your ruby version. ffi-0.6.3 is the latest version that
reliably works with ruby 1.8. The ffi-1.x series never worked reliably
with ruby 1.8, and the latest version have officially removed support for
it and only work with ruby 1.9. This is also the reason that ffi-0.6.3 is
the latest version in the tree.

Kind regards,

Hans