Indi wrote:
On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 02:40:01AM +0200, Dale wrote:
I have a quick question.  I sync'd a bit ago and noticed something a bit
odd.  Here it is:

[ebuild     U *] sys-apps/portage-2.2.0_alpha34 [2.2.0_alpha33]
USE="(ipc) -build -doc -epydoc -python2 -python3 (-selinux)"
LINGUAS="-pl" 794 kB

I know portage needs python but check out the USE flags.  Both python2
and python3 are disabled.  Shouldn't one of those be enabled?  Even
better, shouldn't portage complain a bit about this before emerging?
Thing is, I'm tempted to enable them both.  2.7 is currently being used
but won't 3.1 be used eventually? Should I enable both or just emerge as
is?

Pretty sure that if you have -python2 or whatever that only works
against building things which have an optional python bit, and has no
effect on things you have which are python-based system bits.
The USE flags affect options, they don't bar things altogether.
I have "-gtk -qt4 -qt3support" in make.conf, but it doesn't stop me
from installing gtk-based things -- just stops the building of
*optional* gtk guis.

Even so, I wouldn't do that with something as critical as python.

The real question is "why do you hate python"?
:)

I don't hate python. I didn't disable python either. This just sort of popped up. I check USE flags and I don't recall seeing this before. Then again, I don't question portage updates to much either.

I read other replies and it seems the ebuild is going to make sure everything stays sane so off to finish my updates.

Thanks to all.

Dale

:-)  :-)