I've been using dev-util/lafilefixer ever since I learned about it.  Now
I've bumped into a thread whose latest posts suggests that it is now
obsolete, with a better capability built into portage.

I hope this is true.  I'd love to ditch it because "lafilefixer --justfixit"
never fails to process some packages that are hardwired for one reason or
another.  Some search engine results suggest this may be true, but they're
mostly old.  Is this still and permanently true?

If so, why is it still in portage and no mention of its obsolesence in the
elogs?

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD