On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 07:00:02AM +0200, Walter Dnes wrote:

>   I don't know how good "exmap" is, but my personal experience is quite
> different.  Between Fall 1999 and Summer 2007 I had a Dell Dimension
> with a 450 mhz PIII and 128 megs of *SYSTEM RAM* (no not the video card).
> It was actually quite usable to the very end, with Blackbox WM, and
> running a few apps.  Meanwhile, KDE (and GNOME for that matter) would
> take forever to load and make the system crawl after that, even with 1
> or 2 apps loaded.

It's always like that with hardware though. My first computer
was a 1987 Mac SE, eight (8) MHz CPU, maxed out to 4 MB RAM.
Two 800MB floppies plus an external 250MB HDD (huge for the time).
Ran Mac System 6.0.8, I used it for multitrack audio recording and
"desktop publishing" (sounds quaint now, huh?) into the '90s.
Of course, it had absolutely no security and only a poor illusion of
multitasking... :)

For the time it was great, but what we have now is much more
flexible, capable, and secure. The business of ever-increasng
consumption of computing resources is probably unavoidable, barring
some major advance in coding.

--
caveat utilitor