On Wednesday 25 May 2011 17:49:29 Alan McKinnon wrote:
> Apparently, though unproven, at 16:20 on Wednesday 25 May 2011, Alex
> Schuster
>
> did opine thusly:
> > Oh, even weirder: The phone just rang, and five minutes later, swap has
> > gone  to 860M. I was running rdiff-backup --list-increment-sizes, maybe
> > this uses much memory, and caches the stuff. Now the command has
> > finished, and paging has stopped. The rdiff-backup process itself does
> > not use much memory.
> >
> > BTW, does anyone else's kwin use 750M? That's pretty high, I think it
> > used to be more like 300M.
>
> I've been noticing this kind of thing too for a while now. In my case it's
> the nepomuk/akonadi/virtuoso stack doing it - it seems to trigger full
> scans at weird times and does other special things after a resume from
> suspend.
>
> Virtuoso can sometimes get as high as 800M RES memory in top. Which is all
> quite bizarre, I suspect a dodgy config on my part.
>
> As for kwin - what column are you reading the value from? Here kwin uses
> more like 60M

This is kwin usage from a 32bit Pentium 4 box with 3G of RAM:

VIRT  SHR  RES
143m  22m  29m

At this moment I am compiling chromium (which will take close to 2 hours) and
it's eaten up 1560K swap.  Under normal usage the 3G or RAM is more than
adequate.  Small amounts of swapping happen only when I emerge something large
(e.g. OOo) or when I fire up VirtualBox and have umpteen apps open, browsers
with dozens of tabs, etc.

PS.  I have switched off desktop search and although I can see akonadi/nepomuk
there's no virtuoso, strigi or other such stuff showing up.
--
Regards,
Mick