On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 9:54 AM,  <dhk...@optonline.net> wrote:
> emerge --depclean removed libcurl.la a few days ago.  I have a program
> that's not in world that uses it when built:  libtool complains that it's
> missing.  In /usr/lib64 there are libcurl .so files but no .la files.
>
> How can I get the libcurl.la library back and keep it so emerge
> --depclean doesn't remove it?

Have you run "lafilefixer --justfixit"? I wonder if you have old .la
files from packages emerged before portage 2.1.9.

After running it once, you shouldn't need it anymore since portage
will auto-fix them upon installation.

You should run the lafilefixer command before trying revdep-rebuild,
or else you might have a lot of unnecessary emerges.

AFAIK the usage of .la files is basically deprecated and only a few
packages still require them. Flameeyes posted a lot of details about
it on his blog last year. (http://blog.flameeyes.eu)