On Sun, Jun 05, 2011 at 08:20:01PM +0200, Mick wrote:

> The Usenet headers do not show any X-Original-References: in your message, at
> least not in my Knode.

They do, but apparently knode isn't showing you all headers.

> The email headers also do not show any X-Original-References: at least in my
> Kmail.  :(

No, in mail that header doesn't exist. The mail2news gateway recreates
the Message-ID header especially for usenet and puts the original MID in
X-Original-Message-ID, which is a custom header.
I'm fairly certain that merely taking the X-Original-Message-ID info
of the message one wishes to reply to and puting it in the In-Reply-To
field of the reply is the trick to reading from usenet without breaking
threads posting. The References won't matter.

This post was done that way, so let me know.
:)

--
klaatu virada nicto