On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 10:39 AM, YoYo Siska <y...@gl.ksp.sk> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 05:21:07PM +0100, Neil Bothwick wrote:
>> On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 08:54:01 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
>>
>> >    My question is about running nvidia-settings. I'm finding that if I
>> > shell into his machine using
>> >
>> > ssh -X -Y -C IP-address
>> >
>> > and run nvidia-settings I get it displayed here, as it should be. The
>> > problem is it is seeing my GTX 465 and not his 8400GS.
>>
>> Looking at the man page, it appears you need to use the -ctrl-display
>> parameter or the $DISPLAY env var. The man page mentions that
>> nvidia-settings queries the X server, which is running locally. It looks
>> like this setting may force it to use another.
>

> as neil wrote, it is
> nvidia-settings -c :0
>
> nvidia-settings connects  to the remote xserver to communicate
> with the graphics card (through a special nvidia xtenstion to the x
> protocol), so you need to be able to access the remote xserver, if you
> are logged in as the user running the xserver, you should be ok
>
> yoy

Yeah, I've been tripping over doing this right since Neil pointed me
toward the -c command. I think the problem is that I don't have the
permissions set correctly to allow this to work right. The owner of
the remote machine is logged in and possibly using X. I'm not sure
about that but I'm not 'running the X server' in any meaningful way.
I'm just remotely trying to access his GPU with nvidia-settings but
display the GUI here. The problem seems to be getting the right number
of his server or else permissions.

This page is one of the better ones I've found about running
nvidia-settings remotely, specifically section 6 which gives this
example:
http://www.makelinux.com/man/1/A/alt-nvidia-173-settings

(issued from bartok.nvidia.com)
xhost +stravinsky.nvidia.com

(issued from schoenberg.nvidia.com)
xhost +stravinsky.nvidia.com

nvidia-settings --display=bartok.nvidia.com:0
--ctrl-display=schoenberg.nvidia.com:0

which "allows all X clients run on stravinsky.nvidia.com to connect
and display on bartok.nvidia.com's X server and configure
schoenberg.nvidia.com's X server."

It seems this program allows you to run it from machine1, display it
on machine2 which controlling machine3?

So, locally I ran

mark@c2stable ~ $ xhost
access control enabled, only authorized clients can connect
mark@c2stable ~ $ xhost +DWP-Linux
DWP-Linux being added to access control list
mark@c2stable ~ $ xhost
access control enabled, only authorized clients can connect
INET:DWP-Linux
mark@c2stable ~ $

which I think allows the remote machine access here in my server. I
then log in which creates the .Xauthority file:

mark@c2stable ~ $ ssh -XYC DWP-Linux
Password:
Last login: Thu Jun 23 14:11:33 EDT 2011 from
c-67-161-57-1.hsd1.ca.comcast.net on pts/3
/usr/bin/xauth:  file /home/mark/.Xauthority does not exist
mark@DWP-Linux ~ $ ls -al .Xauthority
-rw------- 1 mark mark 55 Jun 23 14:21 .Xauthority
mark@DWP-Linux ~ $ cat .Xauthority
        DWP-Linux11MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1��:��T'6�@R��mark@DWP-Linux ~ $
mark@DWP-Linux ~ $

On that machine I see this $DISPLAY:

mark@DWP-Linux ~ $ echo $DISPLAY
localhost:11.0
mark@DWP-Linux ~ $

so I run

mark@DWP-Linux ~ $ nvidia-settings -c :11

which sees my GPU, not his, presumably because I said to control my
system with -c :11. However if I try something like

mark@DWP-Linux ~ $ nvidia-settings -c :0

I get a bunch of stuff ending with

ERROR: Unable to assign attribute XVideoSyncToDisplay specified on
line 62 of configuration file
       '/home/mark/.nvidia-settings-rc' (no Display connection).

No protocol specified

ERROR: Cannot open display ':0'.

mark@DWP-Linux ~ $

I'm a bit lost at this point. (OBVIOUSLY!) :-)

Thanks for any guidance,
Mark