Hello,

Blocking means that a package prevents other package from being installed.
I guess you already figured that out... :)

Quote from man pages should be quite clear (if not, ask :), it follows.

>From man emerge
"
[blocks B ] app-text/dos2unix (from pkg app-text/hd2u-0.8.0)
       Dos2unix is Blocking hd2u  from  being  emerged.   Blockers  are
       defined  when  two  packages  will clobber each others files, or
       otherwise cause some form of breakage in your system.   However,
       blockers  usually  do  not  need  to  be  simultaneously emerged
       because they usually provide the same functionality.
"

When I've got a block, I unmerge the blocking package (emerge -C ftpbase
in your case) and then emerge package I originally wanted (emerge proftpd).
I'm not sure if there's an other way to do this, but just unmerging has
worked for me so far.

--
Olli Koskela
[EMAIL PROTECTED]