On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 4:08 PM, Harry Putnam <rea...@newsguy.com> wrote:
> Mark Knecht <markkne...@gmail.com> writes:
>
>>    As for Gentoo installs, IMHO, they are in a bit of a mess right
>> now. Last weekend a friend decided to give Linux a try and I helped
>> him install Gentoo. The tarballs still, after nearly a month I think,
>> didn't include all the required /dev stuff in the stage3 tarball which
>> caused the machine to not boot. Maybe that's what you're seeing? I
>
> I'm at the stage right now of trying to boot from the vm harddrive.
> What is missing from stage3?  Maybe I can get it straightened out now
> before turning the vm on its own.

/dev/null and /dev/console

Look at this post. Check the instructions near the bottom from kswtch
as I can confirm they work. The only catch is if your work created a
normal file under /dev then erase before creating the new device
files:

https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/gentoo-87/booting-stops-after-kernel-starts-883031/

It was a unique failure I hadn't seen before.

There was another method reported to fix this that had to do with a
file system called 'devtmpfs' that creates what's needed on the fly (I
guess) but I didn't think I was the person to try that out.

Hope this helps,
Mark