Mike Edenfield wrote:
On 6/25/2011 8:04 AM, Dale wrote:

We restructured the dependency chain for fortran support,
which includes
a compile test now. The failure can be seen above.

The Problem was in short, USE=fortran was enabled by
default for linux
arches, but people tend to disable it. Depending on
gcc[fortran] doesn't
work completely as gcc:4.4[fortran] and gcc:4.5[-fortran]
with gcc-4.5
select can be installed, which would full fill the
dependency but
nevertheless doesn't give a working compiler.

So now packages depend on virtual/fortran and use an
eclass to check for
a working compiler. So if you see this message, this means
you somehow
worked around gcc[fortran].

That make sense?

Yes. He's saying they didn't change the USE flag, they changed the fortran dependency test to actually do a run-time check for fortran because the USE flag alone wasn't sufficient.

Which means you most likely had a non-working cantor and no fortran compiler before and just didn't notice :)

--Mike

My understanding, USE flag was there and had been for a long time, got changed, this thread was started, discussion was had, USE flag was put back the way it was. So actually it was only not working while I was messing with it. That would be true ONLY if you were using the defaults. If you had -fortran then nothing should have changed as would having fortran enabled. It was only folks like me that didn't have any mention of fortran that were affected.

Just one of those things. ;-) As someone else posted, this was minor compared to some things we have ran into.

Dale

:-)  :-)