Am Sonntag, 26. Juni 2011, 10:28:47 schrieb Dale:
> Michael Schreckenbauer wrote:
> > Am Samstag, 25. Juni 2011, 14:58:56 schrieb Peter Humphrey:
> >> Whether "many" operations are written in Fortran is immaterial. What
> >> matters to me is whether any on my system are. If they aren't, I
> >> don't need a Fortran compiler and I'd rather not waste system
> >> resources on building one.
> >
> > Try euse -I fortran.
> > If anything besides gcc pops up, you should have one.
> >
> > Regards
> > Michael
>
> That doesn't appear to work like it should then.  I get this:
>
> root@fireball / # euse -I fortran
> global use flags (searching: fortran)
> [+ CD   ] fortran - Adds support for fortran (formerly f77)
>
> Installed packages matching this USE flag:
> sys-devel/gcc-4.4.5
>
> local use flags (searching: fortran)
> no matching entries found
> root@fireball / #
>
> Thing is, I know a couple packages use it on this rig because I just had
> to recompile them.  Cantor and R are two that I recall.
>
> Maybe it is because it is not a option in the list?  The USE flag that is.

Iirc you had problems with -fortran, because you have packages that really
need fortran. My suggestion was for people like Peter, who have no problems
without fortran. It shows only packages which could perform better, if a
fortran compiler is available and otherwise fallback to a C implementation. At
least, I think it does :)

> Dale
> :-)  :-)

Michael